Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Recent and Upcoming Events

I have had the pleasure of attending and speaking at several important community groups of late.  Sharing the wealth of this archive is something that I am very happy and eager to do.

I recently attended a gathering of eager tour goers for a trip through Boyle Heights and a history of the area.  In Los Angeles, Boyle Heights was always a very diverse neighborhood with all ethnic groups in the area represented.

I got to show off parts of this archive to the group before we boarded the bus for an afternoon long tour through Boyle Heights.

Thanks much to Meeno for these photos. Please visit his site for more about the tour and Meeno's great photography. www.meenophoto.com



Thats Bruce Kaji  (center) looking over some of the photos I brought with me.  Mr Kaji was born and raised in Boyle Heights, spent most of his high school years in Manzanar, and has written a great book about his experiences called Jive Bomber (available at the Book Shop at JANM).





One of the many deteriorating 8 x 10 negatives in my possession.

I also have briefly spoken at The Boyle Heights Historical Society meeting recently.  I was honored to be asked to attend and spread the word about this archive and my projects.  Again the featured speaker was Bruce Kaji and it was a treat to hear more of his life stories.


Upcoming Events

I am next scheduled to talk at The Little Tokyo Historical Society, where I hope to be able to speak more at length about the tens of thousands of images that I am now caretaker of.

If you wish to attend, that meeting will take place on May 7th, 2011 at The Little Tokyo Service Center.  The address for the LTSC is:

Little Tokyo Service Center

231 E. Third Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013


The meeting starts at 9am and I would be pleased to see you there and meet you.


Also, I was mentioned by George Johnston of the Rafu Shimpo / Nikkei Nation in his blog about saving family photographic treasures.  Its a great and timely piece and you can read it here:


Into The Next Stage: Opening a Personal Time Capsule


As always, I am continually in need of support for this project.  If you wish to donate directly to the cause, you can either click the button to the right and donate through a secure PayPal page, or directly through the mail.  My mailing address is:


Michael Risner
PO Box 5781
Glendale, CA 91221


I need funding for computers and scanners, archiving materials, office supplies, legal services and funding to support volunteers that wish to come help archive.  Your help, in any amount, will see this project to completion.


Thanks for visiting my page!


Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment